Thursday, 6 August 2026

Écorcheurs Markers

I took advantage of the Gripping Beast Summer Sale to buy a new rule set,  Écorcheurs.  I think the game lends itself brilliantly to physical tabletop aids. Because it's driven by states (initiative, stun, coins, faltering) rather than long stat lines, and as a solo player I want to replace almost all bookkeeping with attractive markers.

I want to emphasise though, the markers must fit the tabletop and blend.

First the casualties.  I have Firelock Games resin pirate casualties for Blood and Plunder, but I want to go inexpensive, so its MDF disks.

Other markers 


Stunned markers

I bought a game token set as part of the Gripping Beast sale but maybe...

  • Helmet knocked off.
  • Sword dropped.

Captain's Purse (Coins)

Again in the token set form Gripping Beast, but I also have some plastic period coins as individual medieval silver pennies I can scatter beside the leader and use to bid.


Initiative Marker

Something nice I think because players handle this every turn.

Ideas:

  • Wax seal
  • Captain's baton
  • Herald's trumpet
  • Sword laid across a shield

Double sided:

I haven't decided yet.


Objective Markers

Medieval looking.

  • Treasure chest
  • Wagon
  • Holy relic
  • Messenger
  • Captured banner
  • Church bell
  • Grain cart
  • Prisoner
With the wording I think.



A Battlefield Event Deck.

Instead of just counters, 40–60mm scenic rectangles that can appear during solo games, whenever three or more dice show the same symbol during a roll:

  • Flock of sheep
  • Runaway pig
  • Fallen tree
  • Pilgrim procession
  • Burning cart
  • Stray horse
  • Priest carrying a relic
  • Broken wagon
  • Local peasants
  • Refugees
  • Freshly dug ditch
  • Bee skeps knocked over!
Without labels

With labels

Each disk becomes both a visual piece and a scenario complication. Draw one when the game stalls or after a triple dice roll.  Suddenly the battlefield feels alive

No comments:

Post a Comment