To Captain Whitmore Sahib,
most worthy English gentleman, somewhere in England.
Oh, most worthy Captain Whitmore Sir,
it is I, Ranjit of the Rams, bringing you wondrous news from the road to Arcot!
We have advanced once more, Sir, following our glorious victory at Baddass, where, as you will remember, I was of considerable assistance to Major Tudor Williams by remaining immediately behind him while he was shouting at the enemy.
This time, Sir, the road to Koya was blocked. And not by a little obstruction either. There was a big old gun.
The enemy had placed it directly upon the road, which I consider to be a very rude thing to do, particularly when the road is being used by the British Army.
The enemy consisted of many levies, some horsemen, and the terrible followers of the Bhuna of Dahl, who are said to be fanatics. I am pleased to report that they were indeed very enthusiastic.
Fortunately, they were enthusiastic some considerable distance away from me. At the beginning of the action the Madras Horse went gallantly around the flank. They were confronted by the Bhuna's camel lads, who appeared to possess both camels and considerable confidence.
There followed a mounted fight of great violence. I watched it carefully. From behind the line.
The Madras Horse prevailed, Sir, and the enemy horsemen were driven away. This demonstrated once again the superiority of disciplined troops over people who have brought camels to a cavalry battle.
Meanwhile our centre advanced upon the enemy levies.
The great gun was still troubling us, but our fire brought it down, and there was much rejoicing amongst the men.
Then the Bhuna and his flankers came forward. They fired upon us with devastating effect.
It was at this moment, Captain Whitmore Sir, that I discovered an important military principle.
When the enemy fires devastatingly, it is desirable to have several rows of one's own comrades between oneself and the enemy.
I therefore moved tactically into the back row.
This was not cowardice.
It was depth in the defensive formation.
The Third Company, meanwhile, suffered badly but stood firm. At last they went in against the Bhuna's flankers and drove them back.
There was much shouting. There is, I have noticed, a considerable amount of shouting in war.
Major Tudor Williams then rode out to hold the flank, displaying the magnificent shouty courage for which he is becoming famous.
Then came the moment upon which the whole battle turned. The Madras Horse had ridden completely around the enemy position and appeared behind their lines.
Behind them, Sir!
The enemy suddenly discovered that they had Madras cavalry where British cavalry ought not to be.
There was a charge. There was more shouting. And then—
THEY RAN AWAY!
The enemy was routed and, most remarkably, the Bhuna of Dahl himself was captured.
I am informed that this is a great victory. I entirely agree.
After this, the remaining enemy made one final desperate attempt to retrieve the situation. More fanatics came rushing in from the flank.
They shouted. We shouted. They shouted louder. We shouted considerably more professionally.
At this point our Company advanced and saw them off. It was a magnificent display of Britisher discipline and Madras courage.
I saw this from the second line. Behind some larger Sepoys. The enemy finally broke, and the road to Koya was ours.
Thus the 2nd Madras has once again defeated the Sultan's men and continued the advance along the Arcot Road. The Bhuna is captured, his cavalry is beaten, his gun is silenced, his fanatics have been dispersed, and the road is open.
I believe this means that we are winning. Although I fear perhaps that the Sultan's army itself remains somewhere ahead.
I remain,
Your most obedient servant,
Ranjit Ram
Sepoy and Batman,
6th Company, 2nd Madras Native Infantry
P.S. Captain Sahib, I have been told that the capture of the Bhuna is a matter of considerable importance. If you should require someone to explain to the Colonel exactly how it happened, I shall be pleased to do so.
I should mention that I was watching very closely.






No comments:
Post a Comment