Friday 4 March 2016

Kriegspiel, the game so far



From Umpire 06.10

As planned, you were at the bridge by 05.30, armed with your trusty Pumpenschtick. The advance reconnaissance squadrons began crossing at 06.00. However, the lead Uhlans were soon in disarray, after the lead horse bolted at the sight of a fat baron waving a Pumpenschtick.
That said, your reconnaissance squadrons are now underway. The Hussars have advanced through Alt Goldberg and you can still see the Uhlans, in the distance, climbing the hill to Neu Sellheim.
The advance guard has not yet reached the bridge: your aide informs you that there has been some sort of incident between an officer of the Hussars and a melon smuggler’s daughter.

From the Baron
I shall of course respond by mounting Esmerelda my faithful old mare, and trot to the scene of the hold up, pumpenschtick held aloft, shouting "advance, advance"
If this piece of subtlety does not work I will order the arrest of anyone blocking the column by a couple of handy hussars, and have any debris cleared from the road as quickly as possible.
I do hope it's not an upturned melon cart!  I will of course support my Officer, so long as he gets going towards that bridge.
Melon smuggling is a hanging offence in the Blue and I will have my provost informed,  as soon as I see one of them.
Once I have cleared this I will return with the column to see the advance guard over the bridge.
I'm regretting missing that Apricot pie.

From Umpire 06.20
Your reconnaissance parties are underway: the Hussars passing beyond Golberger Feld and the Uhlans moving SW to Nennweiler Station.
You arrived at the head of the advance guard column to find an obviously inebriated Captain Phillips and a somewhat dishevelled smuggler's daughter. Naturally you demanded to see the offending melons, whereupon Captain Phillips exclaimed 'I say, ding dong!', before falling off his horse. With much cajoling and waving of the Pumpenschtick you eventually succeeded in getting the column moving again.
You are currently on the northern outskirts of Neu Goldberg, where the rear of the jager battalion is entering the town.
Your main body is waiting on the road SW of Neu Golberg and the artillery and baggage are still encamped on the heights around Villa Schonblick.
Phillips to be sent back to the rearguard to sober up.  I will deal with him tonight.
I shall steer my mare Esmerelda back to the Bridge leading the Jagers of the Advanced Guard and see them across.  I will leave my ADC at the Bridge and take myself up into Alt Goldberg to overlook the Goldberg Feld to the South and satisfy myself that I haven’t got Flatulenz coming on.
My intention is then to return to the Bridge to supervise.  
From Umpire 0630
The View South
Clear
From the Baron 
I will send word back to Major Fahrtgasse to bring the main body on as ordered.  I will ride Esmerelda up to join my cavalry patrols on Pt136 (is it called “Aus dem Kipning?” On the Kipnings?  that would make these two hills the Kipnings.  Anyway I`m off up to the left nipple to see if I can spot any stiffening of the red further south.
Ahem...
Pumphosen


From Umpire 0640

You spur on Esmeralda and make the heights of Auf dem Kipning and survey the ground south.



Pickets are ordered South onto Die Wiesse Burg and Der Rothe Burg summits

My compliments to Oberst Von Trotha

His advanced Guard are to occupy the heights of Die Wiesse Berg (the white Mountain.)
The Jager will occupy the Rothe Burg overlooking Nennweiler to their West, Cavalry patrols to lead the way, and inspect Nennwieler.

I will return to my main body to bring it forward.  As ordered V regiment will march straight down the Nennwieler road following the Advanced guard.


I will divert the VI Regiment to take the Under construction railway line, taking the road west before the woods south of Alt Goldburg. (Shades of Mannassas Junction and 1st Bull Run here)  They will be following the cavalry Squadron already on this road.

I will also swap mounts with Farhrtgasse to rest Esmerelda.

No comments:

Post a Comment