Tuesday 31 January 2017

Colonel Ponsonby: Big Game Hunter.

Just to be clear, I despise the idea of "big game hunting."  I do however have a collection of Victorian explorers who fit the bill for this role very well.  I also have the Tusk rules.  I`ve been having a day making bases and "concealed" markers for my recent run out with ever decreasing number allocation., and decided the combine the two. 

 To try out the markers I had Colonel Ponsonby and Major Bigg-Twerp, baronet, use the terrain I had set up for the French Indian War, to try out some hunting.  Naturally however I intended this to be a challenge for our in-bred pair of Aristocratic twits.  

I have a collection of big game, mainly lions tigers and wolves, that seems a little eclectic.  I set these up in a simple random table.  The hunters then stalked around the forest, using edna as they neared the trigger points.  Lady Bigg Twerp and her friendly Guards Officer chum, Captain Eustace Improper were the first to trigger an animal, a very large (28mm?) tiger.  after some very ineffective shooting, and my punning jokes about improper advances, the tiger reached a second "concealed marker and rolled d6 -5 vanishing into the undergrowth.

The Colonel and Major, advancing on a separate track, moved against this marker, rolled their edna, hoping to flush the beast, only to discover two unlikely Velociraptors.  Since we all know that velociraptors hunt using distraction and flank attacks this pair were far enough apart to ambush our heroes.   

Before Major Bigg-Twerp could say "anachronism," he had been struck by a charging dinosaur, and was on the ground in several pieces.  His chum Colonel Ponsonby missed his shot with "Bessie," his faithful elephant gun against the raptor in cover to his front, and the second raptor charged and took him down too.

Lady Bigg-Twerp fled the scene with improper haste, and Captain Improper made a hasty if somewhat improper retreat.  

2 comments:

  1. Reminds me of The Meaning of Life. "Why are you dressed as a tiger?!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really have no excuse for this game. It was fun, but I enjoyed the punning more. Improper advances!!!
    I`l get my coat...

    ReplyDelete