Thursday 24 August 2017

The S-Boat and my rules design notes.

With its usual efficiency the Kriegsmarine designed the Schnell-boot or S-boat for their principal areas of operations, the North Sea.  As a class they were tough, seaworthy and very fast.  Much larger than the equivalent British MTB of 1940 they were designated "E-boats," the "e" meaning simply enemy.  They were better armed, and so superior that later Allied designs mimicked them.
My wargames MTBs are going to have their work cut out.

Beginning with the hull shape, cut from balsa and sanded into submission at 1mm to 1 ft,  I used the plans for a S-100 boat.  That meant that the bow had to be raised with a second piece of balsa, and the grooves for the torpedo launchers cut, almost to the waterline.

The rounded wheelhouse, in its aluminium cover was difficult to shape, and needed balsa, sanding and milliput to get the shape. 



The S-boat is a detailed model, requiring railings and canvas screens, as well as recessed weapons turrets and a mine laying rail. 

Once again I added a micro dice frame (even though it covers the mine laying rail over the stern.)



The S-boat is the only German WW2 Coastal forces model I have completed so far.  Even so this S 100 type (the hull is numbered S103) probably over matches my Vospers.  

This set me to considering my rules, and the design notes that will underpin them...



  • The rules should be quick to play and easy, to learn, but give a simulation of Coastal Forces warfare.
  • Personalities and leadership should be a factor in the game.
  • Avoid book keeping and excessive detail. 
  • Make the game mission driven. 
  • I want my games to be playable as solo games, in a similar vein to Dan Mersey's Babbage rules.
  •  My rules will have to work equally well on  a tiny table...  difficult one this.
  • D6 is the only dice type I will allow.


Further notes...Instead of scenarios I will have Mission briefings, these are cards that include 1-3 encounter locations. A mission objective is located at the centre of the table, or else a nominated vessel at the centre.

Blinds
Aircraft strafes and bombing runs will cross the table in two turns.
Weather
Clock face vessel, aircraft appearance or event occurrence.
Combat should be swift and deadly, and e boats can take more damage than an MTB.
Damage inflicted on: engines, crew, command, hull, weapons, misc...rudder, props, raft, lifebelts, Jerry-can (fire) Aldis lamp.
Each hit causes some damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment