Saturday 25 August 2018

Games planning for Autumn 2018

One of my aims in setting up a blog was to use it to replace my wargames journal.  I've kept a journal of my games for a long time now, but it also records my plans for upcoming games, ideas and any new rules I happen across. 

Since I am back off to Cyprus soon, having spent a couple of months in Durham avoiding temperatures of over 40 degrees, I need to plan some games with the figures I have over there.  In addition I have to decide whether or not to take any figures with me.


The Games

Ancients.  Cohort in 6mm.  The frontier war is just beginning, but Nauseous Sextus will be leading my 6mm 1:1 cohort of 480 men against the revolting Celts. This will be a series of games that really tests my ideas for these rules.
The fight against the Selgovae has been going well.  Let's see how much new Prefect Nauseous Sextus can mess it up.
 

ACW in 28mm.  I have to finish the Peninsular games, with the final showdown at Yorktown, as the Parson leads his flock of the 2nd Massachusetts Infantry against the 7th Virginia Defenders in Sharpe Practice 2.  At this point I`ve lost so many Officers the attack on the Peninsula is beginning to lose momentum.  I`ll need reinforcements for any advance beyond here.


The Men Who Would Be Kings in 15mm.  The 4th Foot are currently still in India but are soon to be posted out, having fought their three games. I have no idea where the posting will be.  I do have some nice African animals and KAR painted however so the dice will probably say New Zealand!


Gladiators in 20mm (1/72)  To save me transporting a dozen 54mm gladiators back and forward I have ordered some 20mm plastics.  Biggus Brutus can work on building up his Ludus in the provinces, just in a smaller scale!

 





WW2 Naval 1:6000.  It's high time I did the Bismark games with these great Hallmark ships.  Quiggles and Bertie in their Swordfish against the mighty Kriegsmarine...
 

Kingmaker Cyprus 3D.  A long term project based on a board using 4 sheets of A3, pastel coloured blue paper for the sea, with the land as a cut out beige on top.  Grids along the sides will hold rules, cards and listings with clips to hold faction cards.  It will be 3D with model mountain ranges, castles and towns. 15mm figures will be used as characters for game pieces, but 6mm armies will be used (perhaps a battle.board as part of the map?)

The Camels are coming.  Algy in 1:600.  The North Durham University class of 1917 have taken their places in the RFC.  Time to have a go at the dirty Fokkers.   I'm not sure whether to use Algy or a broader set of rules.  I'll have up to 12 aircraft a side as the Camel squadron seek to dominate the Western front. 




Other planned gaming ideas (the back burner stuff that will probably go to the front quite quickly)
 

An Imaginations 6mm Ancients and Medievals.  A Hyboria style game.

1940 Chain of Command Desert War.  Following the fortunes of an Italian Infantry platoon during Operation Compass

Building some 6mm galleys for Naumachaie.  Specifically Bronze age ships, the Sea People's against the might of Pharoah.


IABSM 10mm Cassino, the 4th Indian Division's attack.

In Her Majesties Name, Pulp 1898.  The Red Headed League, the Royal Archeological Society, the Mummy of Prince Imhotep, and the Her Majesties British Airship Service fight over the Chaos in Cairo.  A 15mm game, using much of the terrain and many of the figures from Men Who Would Be Kings.







Lastly I painted up some Italian WW2 aircraft during the Spring, so I will be using them in a Coastal Forces game with S-boats and MTBs during operations in the Western Mediterranean in 1942.

No comments:

Post a Comment