Saturday 21 September 2019

The new tabletop

Here in Cyprus my table is 3ft by 6ft.  It's that 3ft width that concerns me of course.  To rectify this I needed a tabletop that packed away, and having done the terrain board route, the hex time route and the big 6 by 4 Scenic grass MDF board route I wanted to try something new.

Wandering through Jumbo's in the Pathos Mall I spotted a likely option, interlocking soft floor tiling, available in 30 cm or 60cm squares.


Having bought both a 30cm and 60 cm pack I have enough to cover my 6 by 4.  Actually I'm happy to go with a 4ft square board and use the remains tiles for contouring.


There are a couple of 1:300 Italian fighter  aircraft in the centre of this mat!

Now clearly the wood effect isn't what I'm going for so the  next step is painting.

The top gets woodland greens and browns

With two sides to these mats I went for greens and browns as the top or "stippled" side, and desert beige and sand colours for the reverse.

Fitted together and with painting complete the "joins" vanish...

The completed board

My French Indian War setup, with every tree I have!

No comments:

Post a Comment