Thursday 17 October 2019

Scratch building some sailing ships (again)

So technically speaking I've been building ships, again, but this time I was experimenting with my scratch building techniques.  Having bought a few of the Warlord Games 1:700 ships I wanted to see if I could get a scratch build anywhere near the quality of the production ones.  Judge for yourself...


I started with some thin plywood shapes from the works.  Several sizes and pretty much fine as the basis for hulls.

The other materials I used were a small balsa sheet from Boyes, and wooden drink stirrers liberated from my favourite local coffee shop.  I used the thin paper till receipt to create the crinkly sails.


A schooner and gunboat or cutter in 1:700.  They work quite well for me.  My figures, 10mm, will be used for landing missions.


 The schooner and gunboat bow on.


The Kogge, my version of a 1:700 Medieval ship.  Ok so I just wanted to see if I could do it, but six of these bad boys would complement my 6mm Baccus feudal army.


A view from up the poop.  All of my Masts dismount for storage, but this model needs more detail.


And my attempt at a light trireme.  It has some promise but perhaps the oars could be better if replaced by nylon from an old hairbrush (or a Poundship hairbrush for the squeamish)


And the view from the business end of that ram.  Poisedon's Warriors perhaps?  This is the model I like best of the four.

I hesitate to say this but they will look great painted...

No comments:

Post a Comment