Monday 18 November 2019

Quiberon Bay, a tactical problem.

During the night lying off the Fours rocks the wind has shifted to the North but dropped to Force 3.  Biscay is still suffering these sudden changes and I expect it to swing to a westerly soon.
HMS Cheddar has been floated clear and patched up.  Her pumps are holding and she is ready for the voyage out into Biscay to rejoin Lord Howe.  She has news that the Rochefort Squadron has broken the blockade and is at sea. 

I write orders to take Cheddar out of the engagement zone.  By mid morning we are heading due South into 54 where we turn to the West and part company.
Fearless must now beat North along the coast of Belle Isle, calling the crew every hour for the tack.



At 1500 we enter 46 and cross into 42 at 1700.  Wind roll now Force 4, but it stays Northerly.
Deeper water here at 26 falling to 30 fathoms means the rollers from Biscay are higher even in a Force 3 and Fearless must crab across them to make headway on this beat.  

Sighting NE. Ten NM
Hex42 towards the oddly named Point du Skeul.
Wind moves westerly and now Force 4 (giving the french the weather gauge!)

Morbier, a French Naval Cutter with an excellent crew and Inspiring Captain, Lucien Maroilles, formerly of the Royal French Navy.  This little ship is armed with 4pdr guns but she is fast (9 under Battle sail) and highly manoeuvrable.

Fearless goes to quarters testing her new crew members.  I hoist the challenge, no reply.  The French Cutter turns along the Coast of Belle Isle and runs.  Probably just as well since I don't want to get near the shore batteries covering the bays/ports on the south eastern shore.  I am at 8NM, well short of the 2NM I need to go on table, but Fearless is new and also quick.  



Its a stern chase beating into the wind at 8NM through Hex 37.

When I could see into hex 32 and 33 however I had an unpleasant surprise...

First dog watch: 1600
Hex 32 
The 28 gun French Frigate Naval Boursin, commanded by its former bosun Emille Figou.  Sail and gun drill poor.

 First dog watch: 1600
Hex 33 
The 36 gun French Naval Frigate Cathare commanded by Capitaine de Marine Édel de Cléron a former ships cook.  Sail and gun drill poor

I was not expecting that!


The tactical problem
So Fearless has sighted the Rochefort Squadron.  These two frigates are scouting ahead of the five ships of the Line of Rear Admiral Joseph-Marie Nielly, and there will be other Frigates further out into Biscay.

Since Boursin and Cathare have hoisted studding sails and the French have the weather gauge Fearless has to run, but run to where?

It is 1600.  There are five hours until darkness.  Fearless can make 40NM or more in a good reach, but the frigates will overhaul her, and the cutter, although not as fast as that is still in the mix.

Belle Isle has deep water around most of it's coast, so if I try to turn around the North of the Island the frigates will catch up before nightfall.

I have already decided my course of action, but before this goes onto the tabletop I will challenge the Petains to solve this puzzle.  They may well come up with a far better solution than mine!



Captain Q pointed out that Fearless can get a sprint start by turning onto a broad reach, whilst the frigates must run down to turn around Belle Isle.  She can then slip between Houat and Hedic before the French get anywhere near her.  She then has the weather gauge, but the frigates will probably give up the chase.  Its a more elegant solution than mine but I had already committed to a run to the East so I will game that.

Orders
Fearless will go about and rig studding sails.
I will make for the Le Four shoal, running before the wind.  The frigates will overhaul me, but this will be be slower than on a reach.
I calculate that I will get to the Le Four shoal at 2000, with one of the frigates within 5 NM,  or closer!  Fearless will cross the shoal taking the risk dice.  I'm betting that the Frenchman won't.  Fearless will then turn north , and I expect the French Frigate to do the same, but it can't catch me.  At dusk I will go about and head directly South back out of the area.

I'm betting that the French Squadron will recall one of the frigates, not wanting to lose both chasing me.  They are probably bound for the mouths of the Loire and it is Fearless duty to report this.  I'll turn north again at midnight and by first light should be back off Belle Isle, with the French Squadron gone.  I will continue my patrol from there.

Prior to first light on Day 5 Fearless beats to quarters in Hex 37. Ready to turn and run if I`ve guessed wrong and the French are still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment