Wednesday 11 January 2023

One-Hour Skirmish Wargames, Cassino 1944

An impulse buy from kindle (I suppose I'm susceptible to wargaming advertising) One-Hour Skirmish Wargames fills a gap in my gaming.  I decided a scenario from Donald Featherstones Skirmish Wargaming seemed to fit the bill.

My battle for the Hotel Continental will feature a section of New Zealanders versus a squad of Fallshirmjager, larger numbers than Don's scenario so I'll use a small street rather than just the two buildings.

I'll run through the rules as I progress through the game, I'm in a learning curve for these.



The Game

The Anzacs prepare their assault.  The Sergeant goes central.

Closer in.  The mission, capture that fountain.

the Germans have a sniper and an observer in the tower.  They have the walls loopholed

The bren team cross the road and use the fence walls as cover

I get a bomb team over centrally.

Building assault.  Bodies everywhete.

the Germans retaliate with grenades.  The Anzac Sergeant charges over and assaults the garden position opposite

But my corporal gets hit

the Germans suffer casualties too

The bomb team take out the sniper in the tower, but the garden position holds out.

the Germans pull back, but grenade the street as they do.

Not quick enough as the Anzac Sergeant used his smg.  He is not by a German though

the bren hoses down the garden, as the Germans run for it.  I catch two.

Game over, but the Garden has been boobytrapped.  I advance acoss the street!

A pretty good game.  Never been happy with these 28mm WW2 but at this level it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment