Monday 9 October 2017

Buildings for General D'Armee


I'm not usually too keen on paper model buildings.  The standard offerings seem too flat and uninteresting.   On the other hand they are cheap!  I'm quite keen on cheap!

All buildings look better embedded into a textured and detailed base of course, so I decided to make a few buildings for my General D'Armee project, and mount them on robust mdf templates.

One of my pet hates when it comes to terrain are ridged edges.  They take away from the illusion.  I shaved down the edges of my mdf templates as I cut them out, bevelling the lip of the template to blend with my terrain.  


Next a coat of diluted pva.  These bases are probably too small to need it but it's good practise.  I drew in the shapes for my buildings, and located the length of walling I would need.  My card models are probably too small to be strictly 1:300, but it's the look I'm going for here.


One important then to remember is that the farmyard
(or churchyard), will need to accommodate a battalion, two 40 x 20 and another two 20 x 20 bases.  That is a large footprint.  (It's also one of the reasons my churchyard has no headstones)




I started with a walled farm, balsa walls with supports added.  The flock was cemented in place using diluted pva.  The colour I opted for was autumn pasture but I added scattered patches of sand and darker brown flock.  The farmer's wife's garden had some additional flock with coloured flower beds.  In one corner I added a vegetable patch.  


The church fills up most of one side of its template, and I added a walls from a wooden coffee stirrer.   A lichgate to give access and some pathways up the churchyard were added detail, and I used a larger scatter of flock on the far side of the church building.  Some foliage dotted here and there hid the joins.  

So far so good, but tomorrow I tackle that battle board, as well as another farm and the village.

No comments:

Post a Comment