Saturday 6 October 2018

My 28mm terrain problem

Turns out I have a little problem with my 28mm terrain setup, mainly to do with limited storage.  It`s best illustrated with a picture...



Basically I have some nice scratch built Spanish Peninsular War buildings and walls.  I really can`t store much more than these.  

I`ve been considering adding another 100 figure 28mm skirmish game to my Cyprus collection for next year, but clearly it has to match the terrain, and there is the problem, I can`t game WW2 Normandy with Spanish buildings.

I do have a few options by using a wide interpretation of just where in the world those buildings could fit in, but its quite limited


I bought the Blood and Plunder rules, Mid-16th Century Caribbean Pirates, English vs Spanish.  I also have a  wooden 3d puzzle pirate ship that's just about right on scale for this.  matched with some scratch built longboats, docks and palm trees it would give a great look.  I can source plastic ECW, Native Americans and even sailors. 

WW2 Italy and Sicily, Commonwealth vs Germans.   Italian buildings could easilly be mistaken for my Peninsular ones.  I would need some building shells that could Russian doll for storage, and its a great little Chain of Command setup.  I suspect that there are even plastic figures (The Perry 8th Army and Afrika Korps perhaps?)

28mm En Garde! Alatriste and swaggering swordsmen.The trouble is that I have this in 15mm already so I`m not that keen to do two different scales.  Its a possibility however.

Spanish American War, the Rough Riders in Cuba. Possibly but very limited.  I`m more of a fan of the naval action in this war anyway.

Maximilian Mexico, or a range of "Western" games.  Foundry do a great range of figures for the Legion, and the buildings could pose quite realistically as being somewhere in South West Texas, or Butch and Sundance in Bolivia.  In terms of Western games its a much smaller setup.  20 figures would do it.  For the Maximilian wars I`m probably looking at 100 and Sharp Practice.

I`m having real problems deciding, so my plan is to do a series of games using smaller figures to see which I enjoy most...    First up will be Tales of the Brethren of the Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment