Friday 19 October 2018

SSN, the build, Phase 2



Let me take you down... or perhaps another lyric: 

Under the sea
Under the sea
Darling it's better
Down where it's wetter
Take it from me

Or maybe not...

In my SSN game I'm playing solo, one boat, USS Galveston, against the system.  Enemy vessel's actions and movement are dictated by the scenario as well as programming dice rolls.  The US fleet is pretty much restricted to one boat.  The Chinese fleet for SSN has around a dozen subs of differing size and capability.

Phase one of my SSN game used waterline models on one plane, the sea surface with dice indicating depth.  Phase two displays my megalomania to its true extent.

Here in Cyprus I have an oval glass table.  For our purposes here that represents the very deep water below which a sub can`t dive, and occasionally of course the sea floor.  My actual ships, only the Jianghu Frigate "Toytown" so far, will occupy a section of a perspex pedestal, riding above the submarine layer of the tabletop and representing the surface sea level.  This surface moves with the ship as it moves.

Sausages
To begin with I began furiously rolling modelling clay, like a Cuban maiden in a cigar factory.  I was soon well on in production.  These were then shaped, for submarine hull sausages of various sizes.



Not content with just the submarines of course I made the torpedo shapes and some sea mines which will ride tethers that are actually their stands.  The submarines will have tilts to show that they are either diving or rising, but retain the micro dice indicating depth.  If the Sub surfaces it will use one of my waterline models.

To inhabit the underwater ocean I also shaped some biologics (that's big old whales to you and me) and a sub breaking up model.   I`m also considering some rocks to represent underwater reefs and sea mounts, and perhaps a wreck.



My initial idea was to use something like one of my aircraft stands to mount the warships on.  This allows me to show Up and Down bubble, as the subs rise and fall in the water.  Subs at level 6 are Very Deep (but few subs can actually manage that depth without crush) and would simply go on the tabletop.  Deep go on a stand.  Intermediate go on a block and a stand, Shallow get two blocks under the stand and Periscope three.  

That gives me a 3" height for the sea surface level.
For the mechanics of the game I need to represent: running torpedoes, or harpoon missiles, underwater explosions, (although I`m thinking white cotton wool puffs) mines, depth charges, noisemaker countermeasures and there are probably many more I just haven't thought of.

Harpoon as a game is quite detailed, but I like the structure of the turn.  It`s really designed for surface and air, but the Submarine rules will obviously be what I use the most for SSN.  Aircraft will make an appearance, mainly as ASW assets, riding a stand above the surface layer.  

Modern subs don't fight it out on the surface, but in SSN there are occasions when a diesel sub uses the surface in ambush, attempting to pose as a normal vessel.  In addition a diesel boat may well travel faster on the surface, Tom Dodge anyone?  


I owned the original Harpoon rules as a box set.  Never liked the aircraft though, which were raised square counters.  My thinking is that Tumbling dice do some 1:600 Tomcats among other aircraft of the 90s, although once again I may just scratch build. Maverick anyone?


Photos of SSN phase 2 under construction...

USS Galveston at Periscope (5 levels)


Sea Mines under construction

My fleet during the build.  Five subs so far, Six hulls left to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment