Thursday 4 April 2019

Desert Air Force: Over Tobruk April - June 1941

Air War Over Tobruk




I still owe the Club President a pint of Old Ma Finnigan finest since he got me the planes I needed to finish this collection from Museum Miniatures at the York convention earlier in the year.   I went for the desert because I game the desert war on land, and it's just a little different.

My Desert Air Force is still thin on the ground, but it will give me some good games.  The ten scenarios on the map above are intended as random, but rather than a Squadron Forward style role play I just intend to go through the games and use cards and a table in the blog to track victory points. 

For what it's worth I would put my money on the Hurricanes.   The Italian planes look great but I suspect that they will give  some performance issues.


The four Hurricanes of the Desert Air Force.
The Regio Aeronautica.  Really pleased with the look of these guys.
The Desert Luftwaffe.  I have another pair of those home made Stukas but haven't based them yet.
The Gloucester Gladiator Squadron,  Faith, Hope, Charity and Blind Optimism
When the collection only just fits into the box it's time to stop the collection... or consider a bigger box.

2 comments:

  1. A fine bit of painting there. Looking forward to this set of missions. From the length of the shadows, presuming you're facing south, I'd say that these photographs were taken mid afternoon. Still I may be wrong, as Grp. Cpn. Hamilton-Sneed used to say "If you're so keen to look at things go and join the bloody Observer Corps." Shame he never saw that 109, he owed me 30 bob.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Hamilton-Sneed well. Poor chap had a hair lip as well as a hair trigger. Sneezed and shot down old Squiffy over the Med. Taken just before lunch, but as you can see the sun is getting fierce. Like any Gentleman abroad I have developed a peculierly white "watch strap" tan line. Should start wearing it on my wrist instead really.

    ReplyDelete