Sunday 30 June 2019

10mm Napoleonic Naval revisited

The introduction of a range of Pirates by Pendraken inspired me to dig out my 10mm naval setup last used a couple of years back.  First impressions on seeing them again ...  a much bigger setup than I remembered!




The figures are based in groups of three on 20mm frontages, with command figures on 10mm washers.  Turns out I have 50 or so British sailors, 30 French, 24 Royal Marines and 18 French Marine Infantry, as well as 12 guns.  It's certainly enough to produce a few games.  
The ships and boats are card models, and I still have the plans to make more.  The large merchant ship and smaller Cutter were actually tweaked from plans I found free online.  

Because these compliment my 10mm 18th Century setup it seems a shame to let them gather dust so I began a rebase to bring them into line with those, using washers and 1 cent coins to base pairs of figures.  


The ships crewed by rebased figures.  It looks much better than the 20mm squares


For such easy scratchbuilds I think they look effective, but I will be scouring Durham Model shop for suitable ship models between 1:150 and 1:200 scale.

I should probably replace the guns in the Cutter with proper Newline castings. Also a repaint of those sailor boys is on the cards 

The boats are really easy builds, but I will customise any future craft to fit these new figure bases.

My idea to use these in tandem with my tricorn era forces should work quite well.  I`m currently reading Bernard Cornwell's "The Fort" and it seems to me that this is the sort of thing that would transfer to the tabletop quite well.  

It looks like that I'm going to have to invest in some of Pendraken's new Pirates and use them as Privateers. The 28mm Blood and Plunder forces may get a run for their money from these guys.  

The merchant ship carrying some of my 18th century Civilians as passengers.  Will that solitary bow chaser keep those pirates at bay?

No comments:

Post a Comment