Saturday 1 June 2019

SP2 1809 Austrians



When I decided to expand my 28mm Napoleonic collection there was only one choice that appealed to me, the Austrians.  
The French attack on Austria in 1809 offers some great opportunities for Sharpe Practice games.  

I`m limited by my terrain collection of course, but the 1809 campaign did not only focus on the Danube.  Italy was also the scene of some desperate fighting.  This will allow me to use my Mediterranean buildings and walls.

In a similar way to my other SP2 forces I game I use a company with the same structure as a scaled down battalion.  In another similarity the main body will be raised from Perry plastics.  The plastic Austrians 48 strong, actually arrived in my Post Office Box within a week.  (ordering by post is a risky business here in Cyprus)  I like to use Perry Metal skirmishers, and guns, and for the Austrians a mounted Officer, but I`m hesitant to order metal through the post so these will have to wait until I`m back in the UK over the Summer.


Beginning work on my Kriegspiel map.
Very much a work in progress
Sharpe Practice focuses on Company size games but for 1809 I`m going to mix it up, with these games using the whole battalion.  Groups will be Companies, and thus my six company French battalion will be facing a larger force (eight groups) of Austrians. 

Austrian Companies were around the 200 men mark, double that of other nations.  At six companies to a battalion that is 1200 men, but given that the rear ranks were used in a Skirmish line I`ve gone for six groups plus two skirmish groups.  It's a huge unwieldy and pretty much unmaneouverable force, and therefore typically Austrian.

I will be using the "German" shako option for my Austrians, with the German Infantry being rated as count as "Stubborn."  

Infantry Regiment Nr. 27 (German - Styria, later Inner Austria)
Infantry Regiment ‘Marquis Fangstange’ Nr. 27 


My General Officer is Generalmajor (GM) Hanke von Haarschmuckfachgeschäft, he is usually simply referred to as Herr General H.

The Regiment is commanded by:
Oberst Franz Fangstange, Leader Status IV

The Battalion Commander is:
Major Ludwig Liebe Dich,  Leader Status III
His nickname is "Der Alter Küsser." (the old kisser)
Painting gets under way. Young Hauptmann Jurgen Fangstange draws his sword...  I really like this figure.  Beside him
OberMeister Erich Klopf the senior NCO.
For the first few games the setup will be:

FUSILIERS FORCE IR27
Leader Status II Hauptmann Jurgen Fangstange (der Jünger)(6pts)
Three Groups of 8 Fusiliers, Muskets @6 (Stubborn)
Leutnant Dolph Rimsting, Status I  (3pts)
Three Groups of 8 Fusiliers, Muskets @6 (Stubborn)
OberMeister Erich Klopf, Status I (3pts)
Two Groups of 6 Third Rank Skirmishers, Muskets @7 (14pts)
Point Value:  62

An alternative line up uses only one group of Rear rank skirmishers and adds
Battalion gun with five crew (6pts)

My "reserves" are:

Oberleutnant Ratte Arsch 
Unterleutnant Ulrich Krappschtink
Fahnrich Kurt Fahrtgasse (Ensign)
Offizier Kadett Nick Schießen
UnterMeister Kaspar Ausfahrt.

The battalion "privates"
Gemeiner Artur Fohnsee
Gemeiner Schmuck
Gemeiner Rathaus
Gemeiner Wirtshaus
Gemeiner Schlosswirtschaft
Gemeiner Starkschaft
Gemeiner Brustwarze
Gemeiner Staubsauger
Gemeiner Schlittenfahrt 


Now where did I store that dip?

No comments:

Post a Comment