Sunday 11 August 2019

Steel and Steed, Learning to Joust

When I was building my group of Knights for Steel and Steed my plan for my own character,  Lord Farthingdale, was to focus on his Jousting skills.  He invested his initial skills points in additional accuracy in the joust.  He also went for a palfrey, as a trade off for speed and stability against power, and a standard weight lance.

His initial joust would be in the Lumley Tourney against Roger Quilp, Lord of Belmont.  Learning to joust was an interesting experience  Having played Sons of Mars I had very little issue with the first round of foot combats earlier in the tournaments.  Well the best way to learn was to get the lances out and the horses on the tiltway.   We will rock you time I think...



Well it's not a packed crowd, and nobody seems to be sitting on a cushion except me.  Well at my age...
Initiative for the first pass.  Quilp adds his AGL and gets off the grid like a silver arrow.
I used index cards to generate my Knights.  Roger of Quilp is a standard sort of fellow, with his focus on Foot fighting and the sword.  Much like the actual Quilp, putting him on a horse seems cruel.  Then again my horse is carrying a Full Scale Farthingdale.
The pass.  I turn over the hidden strategy to find out the focus of the pass.  Here I go for a blind solo draw, even though technically I'm playing one of them.  Quilp is well past the half way point and gains an advantage.
Quilp tries a thrust with the lance.  Farthingdale goes standard.  Farthingdale wins a clean hit on that nine.  One point to me I think!  They canter back to the start and turn for the second pass.
For the second pass Farthingdale spurs the palfrey and is off down the lists first.
This time it's Lord Farthingdale past the half way point.  Quilp goes "standard," while Farthingdale uses "accuracy."  Adding an extra Jst dice he loses Str as a result, and it matters here because he rolls a 10.
With Lord Farthingdale's natural 10 his lance shatters with the force and he gains two points.  It's critical.  Quilp fails his stability roll in excellent style.
Farthingdale's strike is pretty deadly, although he is -1 Str, but recovers that for being over half way down the tilt yard, so a roll of 9 is enough and Quilp is unseated.
Needing a 6 to shrug it off and get back on the horse Quilp fails.  It's bad news and he must roll on the Joust Injury table.
Quilp has his hipbone shattered and he's out of the Tournament.


Pretty fast and furious gaming once I got the hang of it...
Good fun.


And... just in case my fellow Petains doubted me, the Farthingdale Arms are Sable Phallus, Rampant, Sable Chief, Or.

The Royal college of arms would point out that the rear surcoat emblem of the Knight differs, being Sable, Phallus Active, Rampant, Or.

Need to paint that sword though.  Bit of an afterthought.

No comments:

Post a Comment