Saturday 3 October 2020

Sizing up the Wild West

My Wild West figures finally appeared.  Originally I had concerns about how they would measure up.  I went with four different manufacturers Artizan, Knuckleduster, Black Scorpion and Northstar Pulp.

First Artizan.  These are excellent figures.  Size wise they are only slightly smaller than the largest figures here (Black Scorpion)  Not as detailed as the resins, and lacking the slotta base.


The Pulp figures are from the Villista Mexican revolution range, and these are slightly larger than the Artizan, with more "character," slightly caricatured perhaps. I really like them. Detail is crisp.



The Knuckleduster figures are 32mm but look, if anything, more slender than both the Artizan and Pulp. They are superb sculpts, and have an amazing level of detail. I like the wooden bases too!  They mix well with the other two ranges, although they cost twice as much.

No sign of my Rooster Coburn figure yet though!


Lastly the resin Black Scorpion.  These are just works of art.  I don't think I've ever owned figures that look as good as these.   Perhaps it's the different casting medium, allowing more scope for movement, but however they achieved it these are the best of my figures.

However, the Black Scorpion are bigger, and quite noticeably bigger, than the other three ranges.  Perhaps this is a result of the use of resin allowing the sculpts to have more movement. They have plastic slotta bases that match the size of the Knuckleduster almost exactly.  Given that these are skirmish figures a slight size difference doesn't matter too much. 

I was lucky in my selection from Black Scorpion too.  The Fat Mexican bandit chief is clearly a leader and so being slightly larger works.  The Apache are a faction, and thus need not match the other figures, and my female gunfighter is a solo type figure that doesn't really fit into any other faction. 


No comments:

Post a Comment