Saturday 18 June 2022

Weighting the flight stands

Warlord Games Blood Red Skies has some issues. I won't gripe about the too tiny Misubushi Zeroes or that some of the follow up seems lacking.  What really annoys me are the flight stands!

It's a great idea, the player need not deal with height levels for an aircraft since the stand itself pitches between advantaged, normal and disadvantaged.  Normal flight has the aircraft level, advantaged pitches it into a climb, and disadvantage into a dive.  Its quite clever.

Metal planes, heavy beasts!
When the resin or the plastic aircraft are used on these stands there is only a slight instability.  Put a metal plane on a flight stand and there is an immediate problem.  It might stay level, just about, but diving or climbing it simply falls over.

Warlord recognise this and supply an enlarged plastic base that adds a lot of stability.  In terms of game play however it is a non starter for me.  Far too big!

They also sell weights for the base of the stands.  Incidentally thus shows that they are aware of the problem.   I bought a set of these at £8.50 for six weights. Add in the postage and that is just way too much, even for a high roller, but then again I have a lot of planes and wanted to see how the weights work.

An F86 Sabre on a Warlord weighted base, with an unweighted one beside it.  The pilot status disc will hide the view of the weight through the plastic.

I came up with my own solution that really works, even for those Vought Corsairs, steel washers from the local Wilco.  £2.50 for a bag of mixed little steel DIY stuff.  Thing is I sometimes use these for bases anyway.


Being careful not to get glue on the hinge for the flight stand (I do not wish to discuss my first effort where I did this and where the stand is now only fit for my rescue helicopter) I glue in a couple of washers.  The weight holds the metal aircraft on a smaller stand.

The result speaks for itself.  Stable aircraft give me more confidence when playing the game.  Just as well since my jets are now ready for the Korean War, and I'm all set to begin operations.

The MIG 15s and Sabres on weighted stands.

No comments:

Post a Comment