Tuesday 6 February 2024

100 years war terrain

I'm preparing to game some chevauchées and similar small scale skirmishes for Blood and Crowns and the 100 Years War.   My table top setup contains some pretty nice scratch built buildings that work well for the 14th Century, but I lack a castle or town wall, and maybe some wattle fencing to give a distinctive look and a major house to pad out my buildings collection.

I don't really need a whole castle of course.  A gate and pair of towers will give the impression I want.  The towers don't even need to be complete, and if I leave them open at the rear I can use archer groups inside at the loop holes.

The wall is straightforward.  A length of polystyrene saved for a project like this was carved with a gateway.  I then crenelated the top.  It will have a wooden walkway added behind.

I will neaten this up as I apply the filler base coat.

This was covered in small pieces of card snipped roughly glued with a of a coating.  This will then get a mix of filler, paint and sand painted into it.  It's important to paint the towers at the same time to keep the project cohesive.

Rather than round or square towers it struck me that octagonal was the way to go.  It certainly has the look.   I snuck in a cheeky postern gate at the foot of one tower, and made sure that my two half towers fit together to create a keep type building.

The postern is just visible bottom left.

The towers have a mid level floor to enable me to crew the arrow slit.

I forsee a few fights on these walls and towers!

The walls undercoating

The frame of the manor house

The gravy granule round tower, pva sand coated and coloured

Not sure I like the way it's looking at me though.

The wall and main gate.

The walls 

One of the Octagonal towers.

That is the wall and towers sorted.  I'll be using an old Cyprus plastic fly swat (a murderous weapon but I broke the handle and can now repurpose it) to form a portcullis and coffee stirrer sticks for the gates and bridge.

The terrain laid out as Bumfleur, a key port
of The  County of Pigourdy.


And a better view of The mighty walls


No comments:

Post a Comment