Friday 13 May 2016

Starting a Peninsular War

Perry Miniatures get my award for the fastest delivery to Cyprus.  Even with the precaution of a P.O box slowing it down I still took delivery only a week after ordering.  That's a lot faster than the four weeks I generally seem to wait.

Unpacking the box
So here it is, the beginning of my Peninsular War.  I am under no illusions, this will be a long term project.

A box of Napoleonic British, a box of French, an additional pair of Riflemen and a pack of skirmishing Light Infantry.

I will be following the adventures of the 4th Foot, part of 5th Division.  Initially I have ordered from Perry miniatures, Front rank and Capitan Miniatures. 

The initial forces will look like this:
42 Figures!  That`s a bargain...

4th Foot: 4 groups of 8 Regulars, 1 group of 6 Flank Company Skirmishers
Support: 1 group 6 Oels skirmishers, 1 group Cacadores (I`ll be painting up the Perry Rifles as these)

The French

4 groups of 8 Line
2 groups of 6 Voltiguers

The Officers and NCO big men  for both forces will be some of the Front Rank figures (slightly bigger and some people criticize them as having less movement, but I like them!)

The size of this plan is quite daunting.  Terrain alone has me concerned, but I intend to scratch build, and use a Russian Doll strategy for storage, buildings that fit inside each other, etc... 

Eventually Cavalry, guns Guerillas and civilians will need to be added.  Not cheap!  I will record the progress of this project as it develops.



2 comments:

  1. Great stuff. I was going to make a metaphor about falling off a wagon until I realised that you'll probably need a wagon.
    BTW, be careful when googling the words "Russian dolls fitting inside each other".

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the ancient Indian proverb says, "Yet when ancient forces stir, many things are woken." That obviously includes my wallet.
    Worryingly Cyprus seems to have quite a few Russian dolls, many of whom work as lap dancers, but no Laps working as Russian dancers. I'll get you a ticket.

    ReplyDelete