Tuesday 10 March 2020

Prestonpans, the 1st Encounter South West of Haddington



The First Encounter South West of Haddington

The Goverment's Orders
From Lt Breslaw 2nd Dragoons
Sir,
I beg leave to report that we have encountered Jacobite Horse at the crossroads past Crawford Hall on the high road.  Our Commanding Officer Captain Farthingdale is indisposed and in fact ridden back to Haddington.  To be frank Sir he is deep in his cups and drunk ahorse.
The Jacobites are Colonel Ballbag and his "Hussars."  Even at this distance I know that orange wigged popinjay.  He was my commander in the Wars in France and is a proven knave and Jacobin.
My men here are shaken.  Captain Farthingdale's desertion has hit them hard.  I request that I be allowed to wait for the support of Captain Campbell and his militia.
Breslaw

From Captain "Soupie Campbell" 3rd Militia
Sir,
according to your orders I have ridden forward and intend to occupy the stone walled fields south east of Sunnyside farm, with my Militia Company.  Ballbag and his "Hussars" are at the crossroads to our front. I fear that he is scouting ahead for raiding scotch highland men.
These Dragoons are useless, and I swear that their Officer was drunk! Dragoon Lt Breslaw, a veteran of the Duke's wars in the Low Countries, can do nothing with them.  He has sent his best men forward to observe for me.
I can occupy these walled fields and fight a defensive action, or advance on the crossroads with the bayonet.
I believe that a general action is imminent, but that we shall prevail, 

Campbell. 

 Jacobite Orders

From Sir Elliot Ballbag
To the Prince

Your Highness,

Redcoat Dragoons are to my front, East of Sunnyside House. I have halted at the crossroads to observe them.  Some seem to be dismounted and are among the fields south east of the road.  These Dragoons are straggling on the march.  They have scouts forward at Crawford hall.

The McQuilp is behind me, having siezed several civilians for "Various Randsomes" and gathering lowlander cattle.  He is a mile or so behind me on the road, but has "enemies" in Samuelstown to our south and is determined to burnm the place.

I can scatter these Dragoons with a charge, but cannot determine if they are supported.

Your Orders Sir
Ballbag


From the McQuilp
To Prince Charlie

Sire,
I have detained several and various of your enemies.  Minister Campbell of Pinkie, Mistress MacPherson and Wee Crankie Jimmy. I also have a dozen or more lowlander coos. Next along tae Samuelstown to burn out mair Campbells,

McQuilp  


The Prince orders the Hussars to charge and disperse the dragoons, supported by the McQuilp, unaware that the redcoats seen on the walled enclosures are Militia Infantry not dragoons.

A section of the map used to locate the game.  I make that out to be Lagres farm.  

Colonel Wiggamore orders
Lt Breslaw, stout fellow, have your men wait for the militia to arrive. Exhort them with strong words and threats of a cut in pay and rations. I am sure you will do your best!
Captain Campbell occupy the stone walls as you suggest and await reinforcements. In the meantime if any of these half dressed, unwashed woses appear I am certain that will show them your mettle.
God Save the King!
Wiggamore
My version of the battlefield.  The Government Dragoons are a little nervous...
Lt. Breslaw has occupied the farm.  He must have been drinking though because its all looking a little blurred.
Rebel Sir Elliot Ballbag and his Hussars.  Higher morale than those Dragoons.  He moves forward in a furious advance, nicely in focus.
But the Campbells and their Militia are behind those walls.  How sneaky are these guys!
Help is at hand for the Prince as the McQuilp himself, cattle thief and determined sporran wearer, advances his clansmen at a run
Half of the Dragoons flee.  The Lieutenant gets the others to hold but opens an uncontrolled musket fire from the farm.  Three casualties is a reasonable opening gambit!  Morale is low and these Dragoons are effectively locked in place
The Campbells volley the approaching Highlanders.  Its a bloody result!
Casualties all along the line of the Highlanders, whose own musketry in return is poor.
And its claymores vs bayonets over the walls
Again the dice fall right for Captain Campbell and his men.  
On the last turn Breslaw's men get a lucky shot on the Hussars at pretty long range.  Don`t roll a one!  Oh!  Ballbag falls, shot through the Pellise!  Its how he would have wanted to go.
A win for the Government but they hold position.  Casualties are pretty much even, with more Highlanders killed but more dragoons fled.  The McQuilp survives to steal another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment